Many of our customers want evergreen hedging to give a year-round green boundary. Whilst evergreens are more expensive than deciduous hedging they have many benefits in giving privacy, disguising unattractive features in your own or neighbouring gardens, providing safe nesting sites for birds and giving a great backdrop in the garden against which other plants can be shown off. They can also help to reduce noise levels and absorb pollution.
Read more on evergreen hedging here, or see our top five evergreen species below;
- Cherry or Common Laurel (Prunus laurocerasus) – we sell thousands of these excellent plants – glossy bright green leaves, very good at keeping their leaves in winter, fast growing, and easy to grow virtually anywhere
- Privet (Ligustrum ovalifolium) – very good even in high pollution areas, fast growing but will lose some leaves in cold winters
- Yew (Taxus baccata) – the king of hedging – luxurious, lush, very dark green foliage, slow growing so easy maintenance
- Leylandii Green (Cupressocyparis leylandii) – very fast growing, dense, dark green foliage
- Lonicera nitida – fast growing, tiny leaves so it looks very neat when just trimmed
And the additional species if you want to look a bit further:Bamboo - Black
(Phyllostachys nigra) - Our most popular variety - we also have Green
and Umbrella BambooBeech - Green
(Fagus sylvatica) - not quite a full evergreen but does keep its (copper) leaves in winter until new growth pushes throughBerberis stenophyllaBox
(Senecio 'Sunshine')Cotoneaster franchetii
(Franchet's cotoneaster)Cotoneaster lacteus
(Read our full guide to all varieties of Escallonia)Euonymus 'Emerald Gaiety'
and Euonymus fortunei 'Emerald 'n' Gold' Hedge Leylandii - Golden
(Cupressocyparis leylandii 'Castlewellan Gold')Euonymus japonicus 'Ovatus Aureus'
and Euonymus 'Kathy'Griselinia littoralisGriselinia 'Dixons Cream'English Holly
(Ilex aquifolium)Holly - Silver
(Ilex aquifolium 'Argentea marginata')Hornbeam
(Carpinus betulus) like Beech, a semi evergreen which keeps its copper leaves in winterBay Laurel
(Laurus nobilis)Portuguese Laurel
(Prunus lusitanica)Spotted Laurel
(Aucuba japonica crotonifolia)English Lavender
(Lavandula angustifolia)Lavender Hidcote
(Lavandula angustifolia 'Hidcote')French Lavender
(Lavandula Stoechas)Lonicera pileataLonicera nitida 'Baggesen's Gold'
(Honeysuckle 'Baggesen's Gold')Monterey cypress 'Goldcrest'
(Cupressus macrocarpa 'Goldcrest')Mexican Orange Blossom
(Choisya ternata)Mexican Orange Blossom - Golden
(Choisya ternate 'Sundance')Oleaster
(Eleagnus ebbingei)Photinia Red Robin
(Photinia fraseri x Red Robin)Pyracantha
- Here you can read our full pyracantha guide for info on all different varietiesRosemary
(Rosmarinus officinalis)Viburnum tinusWestern Red Cedar
(Thuja plicata 'Atrovirens') - this one nearly made the top 5 - another very popular species