Elder Hedge Plants Description
Elder flowers in June and July with large flat heads of creamy white followed by elderberries which are small black fruits high in Vitamin C. It comes into leaf early (sometimes in January) and the leaves fall late in sheltered sites (November) and have 5 to 7 leaflets with slightly serated edges.
It's a good choice in rabbit prone areas because the little devils dont like the musky scent. Whilst the flowers and fruits are edible, the leaves and stems are harmful if eaten so take care to pick carefully.
Elder is also a UK native hedge and can be found with a combination of other UK native species in our Native Coastal Hedging Pack
creating a beautiful mixed native hedge that is tolerant of coastal extremes and therefore ideal for coastal areas. For other individual species ideal for coastal areas see also our Hedging for Exposed Sites
Planting distances are very much a matter of choice - for bare roots, 3 plants per metre is adequate, 5 is good, 7 in a double staggered row will give a dense hedge quicker. Generally, smaller plants should be planted at higher density. Cell grown should be planted at 4 per metre in a single row or ideally 6 per metre in a staggered row.
For more information on planting distances please see our planting density advice section
is available on all orders providing they meet the minimum spend criteria for the size of box or pallet. Pallet deliveries and large box deliveries for tall plants are indicated by icons on the product table listings. Delivery costs and minimum order details for each packaging type are as follows:
|Packaging Type||Standard Delivery Charge||Minimum Order Values (incl VAT) for FREE Delivery|
|Small Box||£12 delivery charge (orders up to £60 incl VAT) ||Orders of £60 and over - FREE|
|Large/Tall Box||£18 delivery charge (orders up to £120 incl VAT)||Orders of £120 and over - FREE|
|Pallet||£60 delivery charge (orders up to £240 incl VAT)||Orders of £240 and over - FREE|
There are some exceptions to the standard delivery pricing structure, which relate to deliveries to more remote areas, overseas, or extremely tall plants requiring specialist delivery - for more information see the Delivery Information Page It's Quick!
- most orders are despatched within 3-5 working days!! (Some trees can be 7-10 days see product pages for info.)Next Day Delivery is Available
- We can offer next day delivery on eligible species and sizes for an additional £12 incl VAT. Call 01257 263 873
to find out if your order is eligible.It's Convenient
- no need to wait in all day to sign, we don't need a signature (the odd, larger order may require a signature but will be delivered at a mutually agreeable time)It's Tried & Tested
- we use only couriers who have shown consistency in their efficiency & care
* Please note that delivery costs are based on the final order amount in your cart after
any discounts have been applied.