Lonicera nitida Hedge Plants Description
This is a dense, bushy, fast growing evergreen and a very popular choice for those who want a medium height evergreen hedge (up to about 2m). Its densely packed leaves, borne on long stems, are tiny so it forms a very dense hedge. It has a high tolerance of clipping which makes it ideal as a neat, formal hedge. Lonicera Nitida is a very common hedging plant despite few people knowing its name - we hope our photograph helps to make it recognisable. You may have heard it referred to as Poor Man's Yew.
Due to its fast growth rate and tiny leaves on supple stems, it's also a very popular choice for topiary. It is easily trimmed in Summer and Autumn. Lonicera Nitida is suitable for shady sites, and most soil types, but not wet or windy sites, or seaside gardens. Don't let hindering planting conditions deter your gardening goals, we supply a huge range of hedging plants for shade and plants for exposed sites. View also our entire range of evergreen plants here for additional options that provide year round interest.
Lonicera (Lonicera nitida) is a popular subsitute for Box hedging plants for its ability to be trimmed into a variety of shapes and it's insusceptible to Box blight. We have a section dedicated to Box Hedging Alternatives
to view our suggested hedging plants.
Cell grown, pot grown and instant hedging plants are available all year round. Bare roots are only available from november to late April/early May.
The wondeful green foliage of this species enhances colourful aspects of other plants when planted together. See also our extensive range of hedging with colourful foliage
Recommended planting densities for pot grown plants are shown but this is very much a matter of choice and you can increase or reduce the density depending on your level of patience. Cell grown plants are normally planted at 4 per metre in a single row or 6 per metre in a double staggered row.
For more information on planting distances please see our planting density advice section
Lonicera Nitida (Box Leafed Honeysuckle) should be pruned yearly to keep a nice, neat shape. Pruning should be done in late Winter or early Spring before you see new growth.
is available on all orders providing they meet the minimum spend criteria for the size of box or pallet. Pallet deliveries and large box deliveries for tall plants are indicated by icons on the product table listings. Delivery costs and minimum order details for each packaging type are as follows:
|Packaging Type||Standard Delivery Charge||Minimum Order Values (incl VAT) for FREE Delivery|
|Small Box||£12 delivery charge (orders up to £60 incl VAT) ||Orders of £60 and over - FREE|
|Large/Tall Box||£18 delivery charge (orders up to £120 incl VAT)||Orders of £120 and over - FREE|
|Pallet||£60 delivery charge (orders up to £240 incl VAT)||Orders of £240 and over - FREE|
There are some exceptions to the standard delivery pricing structure, which relate to deliveries to more remote areas, overseas, or extremely tall plants requiring specialist delivery - for more information see the Delivery Information Page It's Quick!
- most orders are despatched within 3-5 working days (Please note that current orders for box root balls may be a longer delivery time due to hot weather affecting lifting. At present lifting is only on a once a week basis. Call 01257 263873 for an estimated delivery on this product.)Next Day Delivery is Available
- We can offer next day delivery on eligible species and sizes for an additional £12 incl VAT. Call 01257 263873 to find out if your order is eligible.It's Convenient
- no need to wait in all day to sign, we don't need a signature (the odd, larger order may require a signature but will be delivered at a mutually agreeable time)It's Tried & Tested
- we use only couriers who have shown consistency in their efficiency & care
* Please note that delivery costs are based on the final order amount in your cart after
any discounts have been applied.