Flowering Currant Hedge Plants Description
Flowering Currant (Ribes Sanguineum) is deciduous and its flowers appear before the leaves. The flowers are formed in showy crimson pendulous highly scented clusters often smothering the plant and are an excellent early nectar for bees. They are followed in Autumn by blue/black currant like fruits with a white bloom which are suitable for us to eat. Its tooth serated leaves have a strong scent when crushed. You can view our whole collection of edible hedging plants here
Flowering Currant with grow in most soils other than very alkaline, it must however have some moisture, and will perform well in full or partial sun or even light shade. It is suitable for coastal situations. View all of our flowering hedge plants
and hedging for exposed sites
Pot grown plants are available all year round. Bare roots are only available from november to late April/early May.
Planting distance is very much a matter of choice. For bare roots, 3 plants per metre is adequate, 5 is good, 7 makes a dense hedge quicker. Smaller plants are generally planted at higher density than tall plants.
Pot grown plants have recommended densities shown but you can increase or reduce this density dependent on your level of patience.
For more information on planting distances please see our planting density advice section
There is a view that Flowering Currant should be pruned in late summer but we find it performs better as a hedge if you cut back flowering stems to a strong pair of buds immediately after flowering.
is available on all orders providing they meet the minimum spend criteria for the size of box or pallet. Pallet deliveries and large box deliveries for tall plants are indicated by icons on the product table listings. Delivery costs and minimum order details for each packaging type are as follows:
|Packaging Type||Standard Delivery Charge||Minimum Order Values (incl VAT) for FREE Delivery|
|Small Box||£12 delivery charge (orders up to £60 incl VAT) ||Orders of £60 and over - FREE|
|Large/Tall Box||£18 delivery charge (orders up to £120 incl VAT)||Orders of £120 and over - FREE|
|Pallet||£60 delivery charge (orders up to £240 incl VAT)||Orders of £240 and over - FREE|
There are some exceptions to the standard delivery pricing structure, which relate to deliveries to more remote areas, overseas, or extremely tall plants requiring specialist delivery - for more information see the Delivery Information Page It's Quick!
- most orders are despatched within 3-5 working days (Please note that current orders for box root balls may be a longer delivery time due to hot weather affecting lifting. At present lifting is only on a once a week basis. Call 01257 263873 for an estimated delivery on this product.)Next Day Delivery is Available
- We can offer next day delivery on eligible species and sizes for an additional £12 incl VAT. Call 01257 263873 to find out if your order is eligible.It's Convenient
- no need to wait in all day to sign, we don't need a signature (the odd, larger order may require a signature but will be delivered at a mutually agreeable time)It's Tried & Tested
- we use only couriers who have shown consistency in their efficiency & care
* Please note that delivery costs are based on the final order amount in your cart after
any discounts have been applied.