Wild Privet Hedge Plants Description
This is the variety that is most often included in mixed native hedges to give some element of evergreen cover in Winter (whereas the Common Privet and Japanese Privet varieties are more usually used in suburban settings) and very useful to provide lots of nest sites for wild birds. This variety has smaller (than the other varieties) creamy white flowers in Spring, popular with butterflies and birds. It is suitable for all soils apart from wet sites. Leaves and flowers are harmful if eaten.
Please note that Privet can defoliate when re-planted (especially bare root) - plants will recover in Spring.
Cell grown and pot grown plants are available all year round. Bare roots are only available from november to late April/early May. Root Ball plants are available from mid-October to mid-April.
Wild Privet is also one of our UK native hedging species and can be found with a selection of other native species in our Native Garden Hedging Packs.
Planting distances are very much a matter of choice - for bare roots, 3 plants per metre is adequate, 5 is good, 7 in a double staggered row will give a dense hedge quicker. Generally, smaller plants should be planted at higher density. Cell grown should be planted at 4 per metre in a single row or ideally 6 per metre in a staggered row.
For more information on planting distances please see our planting density advice section
Wild Privet can be pruned regularly throughout the summer. Stop pruning in late summer to avoid frost damage on new shoots
is available on all orders providing they meet the minimum spend criteria for the size of box or pallet. Pallet deliveries and large box deliveries for tall plants are indicated by icons on the product table listings. Delivery costs and minimum order details for each packaging type are as follows:
|Packaging Type||Standard Delivery Charge||Minimum Order Values (incl VAT) for FREE Delivery|
|Small Box||£12 delivery charge (orders up to £60 incl VAT) ||Orders of £60 and over - FREE|
|Large/Tall Box||£18 delivery charge (orders up to £120 incl VAT)||Orders of £120 and over - FREE|
|Pallet||£60 delivery charge (orders up to £240 incl VAT)||Orders of £240 and over - FREE|
There are some exceptions to the standard delivery pricing structure, which relate to deliveries to more remote areas, overseas, or extremely tall plants requiring specialist delivery - for more information see the Delivery Information Page It's Quick!
- most orders are despatched within 3-5 working days!! (Some trees can be 7-10 days see product pages for info.)Next Day Delivery is Available
- We can offer next day delivery on eligible species and sizes for an additional £12 incl VAT. Call 01257 263873 to find out if your order is eligible.It's Convenient
- no need to wait in all day to sign, we don't need a signature (the odd, larger order may require a signature but will be delivered at a mutually agreeable time)It's Tried & Tested
- we use only couriers who have shown consistency in their efficiency & care
* Please note that delivery costs are based on the final order amount in your cart after
any discounts have been applied.