Compact Barberry Hedge Plants Description
Berberis Thunbergii (Japanese Barberry) is compact and slow growing, so they are ideal for low (ideal at up to 1m) but prickly hedges and are a very good option as an alternative to Box (Buxus sempervirens hedging) - especially if you have Box blight in the garden. You can see heaps of low growing hedging plants
in our dedicated section.
Berberis Thunbergii has green leaves and is deciduous. It boasts orange flowers in spring and red, jewel like fruits drip from its branches in late autumn. They are tough, easy to grow hedging plants which do well in virtually any soil and situation including coastal, though they do like sun or partial shade. They should be trimmed after flowering - see all of our Berberis options in our ultimate guide to Berberis hedging plants
For an alternative, slightly taller purple/red leafed prickly hedge, take a look at Berberis Red Leaf or, for a variegated pink/cream leaf, try Berberis Rose Glow. See also our range of evergreen hedging plants
, hedges with berries
and our hedging with colourful foliage
Prices shown are the price per plant. Planting distance is very much a matter of choice. For bare roots, 3 plants per metre is adequate, 5 is good, 7 makes a dense hedge quicker. Pot grown plants have recommended densities shown but you can increase or reduce this density dependent on your budget and level of patience.
Pot grown plants are available all year round. Bare roots are only available from november to late April/early May.
Youll see our recommended planting densities for each size and root type listed next to the products below. We suggest that you use these as a guide, taking into consideration how long youre willing to wait to see your finished hedge. As a rough indication bare roots can be planted at anything from 3 to 7 per metre and cell grown between 4 and 6 - the higher densities here would need to be planted in a double staggered row or zig-zag.
For more information on planting distances please see our planting density advice section
. Prices shown are the price per plant unless otherwise stated.
Berberis thunbergii hedge trimming should be done immediately after flowering.
is available on all orders providing they meet the minimum spend criteria for the size of box or pallet. Pallet deliveries and large box deliveries for tall plants are indicated by icons on the product table listings. Delivery costs and minimum order details for each packaging type are as follows:
|Packaging Type||Standard Delivery Charge||Minimum Order Values (incl VAT) for FREE Delivery|
|Small Box||£12 delivery charge (orders up to £60 incl VAT) ||Orders of £60 and over - FREE|
|Large/Tall Box||£18 delivery charge (orders up to £120 incl VAT)||Orders of £120 and over - FREE|
|Pallet||£60 delivery charge (orders up to £240 incl VAT)||Orders of £240 and over - FREE|
There are some exceptions to the standard delivery pricing structure, which relate to deliveries to more remote areas, overseas, or extremely tall plants requiring specialist delivery - for more information see the Delivery Information Page It's Quick!
- most orders are despatched within 3-5 working days (Please note that current orders for box root balls may be a longer delivery time due to hot weather affecting lifting. At present lifting is only on a once a week basis. Call 01257 263873 for an estimated delivery on this product.)Next Day Delivery is Available
- We can offer next day delivery on eligible species and sizes for an additional £12 incl VAT. Call 01257 263873 to find out if your order is eligible.It's Convenient
- no need to wait in all day to sign, we don't need a signature (the odd, larger order may require a signature but will be delivered at a mutually agreeable time)It's Tried & Tested
- we use only couriers who have shown consistency in their efficiency & care
* Please note that delivery costs are based on the final order amount in your cart after
any discounts have been applied.