The hedging species that make up these mixed native hedging packs are ideal for both fields and gardens, containing species that provide year round interest and a diverse habitat for wildlife. Our native hedging species are in decline so by planting this mix, not only will you benefit from one of our most cost effective hedging packs, you will also be helping to conserve the nation's heritage and supporting local wildlife.
Bare root packs are available from November to mid/late May, using cold stored plants towards the very end of the season.
Our recommended mix for bare root native hedging is 50% Hawthorn for sandy soils or non-coastal/sheltered positions with 10% each of Bird Cherry, Field Maple, Dog Rose, Hazel and 10% Blackthorn. These species have been selected to provide a long period of interest for humans (in flower, berries, leaf colour, leaf shape) as well as varying wildlife foods and shelter.
Planting distances are very much a matter of choice - for bare roots, 3 plants per metre is adequate, 5 is good, 7 in a double staggered row will give a dense hedge quicker. Generally, smaller plants should be planted at higher density.
is available on all orders providing they meet the minimum spend criteria for the size of box or pallet. Pallet deliveries and large box deliveries for tall plants are indicated by icons on the product table listings. Delivery costs and minimum order details for each packaging type are as follows:
|Packaging Type||Standard Delivery Charge||Minimum Order Values (incl VAT) for FREE Delivery|
|Small Box (Bare Roots up to 1.2m)||£18 delivery charge (orders up to £100 incl VAT) ||Orders of £100 and over - FREE|
|Box (Pots up to and incl. 7.5L)||£18 delivery charge (orders up to £100 incl VAT) ||Orders of £100 and over - FREE|
|Large/Tall Box (Tall bare roots 1.2m +)||£24 delivery charge (orders up to £120 incl VAT)||Orders of £120 and over - FREE|
|Pallet (Root balls, large pots, trees etc)||£60 delivery charge (orders up to £240 incl VAT)||Orders of £240 and over - FREE|
There are some exceptions to the standard delivery pricing structure, which relate to deliveries to more remote areas, overseas, or extremely tall plants requiring specialist delivery - for more information see the Delivery Information Page It's Quick!
- Please note that due to increased demand, orders will currently be dispatched within 14 - 21 working days. (See our product pages for specific delivery info)Next Day Delivery is Available
- We can offer next day delivery on eligible species and sizes for an additional £12 incl VAT. Call 01257 263 873
to find out if your order is eligible.It's Convenient
- no need to wait in all day to sign, we don't need a signature (the odd, larger order may require a signature but will be delivered at a mutually agreeable time)It's Tried & Tested
- we use only couriers who have shown consistency in their efficiency & care
* Please note that delivery costs are based on the final order amount in your cart after
any discounts have been applied.
Hedges Direct 12 Month Plant Guarantee
Our plants are guaranteed for 12 months after delivery subject to specific criteria. Visit our Hedges Direct Plant Guarantee Page
for full details.