About Pyracantha Hedging Screens (Firethorn 'Darts Red')
Pyracantha 'Dart's Red' hedging screens are an innovative garden screening solution that mean you can enjoy the privacy and security of a long lasting fence with the aesthetic and environmental benefits of a hedge.
Our Pyracantha screens are grown on galvanised steel frames with several plants grown in each 120cm trough to create full coverage of the frame. Pyracantha 'Dart's red' living screens are easy to install and offer a low maintenance, sustainable living fence or wall.
Different uses for Pyracantha Hedging Screens
Pyracantha 'Dart's Red' screens are an ideal alternative to fences and bushy hedges. They are an immediate and cost-effective perimeter solution for urban or countryside locations.
- Gardens: Instant security - these living screens, with their hidden steel framework, look stunning and are the most appropriate hedging screen to keep intruders out due to their sharp, thorny nature. Instant privacy - create a secluded area within your garden with Pyracantha hedging screens used as partitions or keep prying eyes out by planting Pyracantha screens around your boundary.
- Space saving: The narrow 20cm depth is particularly useful for small gardens that want to maintain a level of privacy without compromising on space. Unlike a hedge, the narrow screen performs the same role whilst maximising the available outdoor area.
- Businesses and Public areas: Instant security with an attractive aesthetic - with a ten year guarantee on the steel frame and with a dense thorny habit, you can secure your perimeter and maintain peace of mind. Additional benefit of low maintenance with functional long-term use and seasonal colour from bright red berries.
- Envrionmental Benefits: Hedging screens can help to combat pollution of differing types in their immediate area in the same way as full hedges; leaves act as both filters of air toxins and noise to a degree. They are also partial windbreaks dependent upon the fullness of growth on the frame.
- Prevent anti-social behaviour: Green screens can be planted instead of fencing or against walls to prevent graffiti or vandalism.
- Urban gardens: Hedging screens are popularly used in cities to create private spaces, roof gardens and green areas.They are ideal for city living due to their narrow depth but varying height along with ease and diversity of installation.
- Save on the paperwork! Unlike walls, you do not need planning permission to erect living fence panels of up to 2.2m high.
Pyracantha hedging screens can be used for a multitude of purposes, including acting as wildlife habitats in addition to all the above. Our sales team are highly experienced in quoting for green screens - for expert advice call 01257 263873 or request a call back using this email address firstname.lastname@example.org - just pop your phone number into the subject line and say 'Pyracantha screens enquiry' and well call you back within 15 minutes.
Each green living screen is easy to handle and the 180cm x 120cm panel for example, weighs around 35kg.
Installing a row of green screens is an easy DIY job, however if you wish you can ask a local landscaper to do this for you. You can buy suitable posts, metal or wood, from your local DIY store or builder's merchant along with metal brackets to fix the screens to the posts or to a wall. Your local store will be able to advise on appropriate fixings.
- Begin by digging a trench, 30cm wide and 40cm deep.
- Position the posts at 1.3m intervals (centre-centre), we recommend using concrete for increased stability however this is not essential
- Loosen the soil at the bottom of the trench and add water if it is dry (it's better to do this now than after the screens are planted).
- Mix in some general-purpose compost to the bottom of the trench (10 litres per metre of trench). We also recommend planting with Rootgrow, you can sprinkle this into the trench now.
- Plant the screens in the trenches, making sure the top of the biodegradable pot sits just below the surface level of the soil.
- Tighten all brackets (make sure none of the plants are squeezed by the brackets).
- Backfill and firm the soil gently.
- Water thoroughly directly to the base after planting.
is available on most orders (except Premium Products) providing they meet the minimum spend criteria for the size of box or pallet. Pallet deliveries and large box deliveries for tall plants are indicated by icons on the product table listings. Delivery costs and minimum order details for each packaging type are as follows:
|Packaging Type||Standard Delivery Charge||Minimum Order Values (incl VAT) for FREE Delivery|
|Boxes (Bare roots and pots up to and incl. 7.5L)||£7.99 delivery charge (orders up to £100 incl VAT) ||Orders of £100 and over - FREE|
|Pallets (Root balls, large pots (10L+), trees etc)||£60.00 delivery charge (orders up to £300 incl VAT)||Orders of £300 and over - FREE|
There are some exceptions to the standard delivery pricing structure, which relate to deliveries to more remote areas, overseas, or extremely tall or large plants requiring specialist delivery - for more information see the Delivery Information Page. (Please note that due to new Brexit rules, we are currently unable to export to both Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland.)Delivery Time
- Please note that delivery times are currently 3-5 days excluding bank holidays. *Some troughs and trees may take up to 14 days delivery. We are working through existing orders as quickly as possible to deliver new orders within this timescale.It's Convenient
- no need to wait in all day to sign, we don't need a signature (the odd, larger order may require a signature but will be delivered at a mutually agreeable time)It's Tried & Tested
- we use only couriers who have shown consistency in their efficiency & care
* Please note that delivery costs are based on the final order amount in your cart after
any discounts have been applied.
Hedges Direct 12 Month Plant Guarantee
Our plants are guaranteed for 12 months after delivery subject to specific criteria. Visit our Hedges Direct Plant Guarantee Page
for full details.