Prunus x subhirtella 'Autumnalis Rosea' is a small, deciduous flowering cherry with a spreading nature. However, unlike most flowering cherry trees, this wonderful little specimen tree is winter-flowering, bringing a splash of colour during the grey, cold months. Opening from deep pink buds on the bare branches, the rose-pink flowers fade to a paler pink as they mature.
The pretty pink flowers will bloom periodically during milder spells of weather between November and March. The flowers are then replaced by small fruits which are popular with local birds and by the deep-green foliage which lasts until the autumn when the leaves bring a dazzling display of autumn colour with vibrant yellows, reds and oranges.
This tree is slow growing and is ideal for smaller spaces. Being tolerant to pollution and smaller in size it is ideal for urban gardens but will look stunning in any setting.
In 10 years of optimal growth this tree will have a height and spread of around 3 x 3m. They are hardy and will grow in any location or soil type but prefer sun or partial shade.
Planting Prunus x subhirtella 'Autumnalis Rosea'
Our Japanese Flowering Cherry trees are pot grown so can be planted all year-round. We recommend sprinkling Rootgrow
when planting to enhance the growth quality. When planting:
1. Dig a square hole as deep as your root mass and approximately 2x as wide
2. Mix 50% of the original soil with 50% compost
3. Remove the tree from the pot and gently loosen the soil around the roots.
4. Place the tree into the hole, fill it with your soil mix and firm around gently (avoid banking the collar of the tree)Aftercare
1. Remove weeds and grass around the area for the first couple years of the growing season.
2. When planting in spring and summer: water well for the first few months and increase watering if there are periods of hot or dry weather
3. When planting in autumn: you may only need to water a little
4. Use a rabbit guard
if prone to rabbits in the areaPruning
Carry out formative pruning on your cherry tree for the first few years to create a healthier and more balanced branch framework. Remove any damaged or unwanted branches and prune back any shoots on grafted stems.
Pruning time: After flowering season
is available on all orders providing they meet the minimum spend criteria for the size of box or pallet. Pallet deliveries and large box deliveries for tall plants are indicated by icons on the product table listings. Delivery costs and minimum order details for each packaging type are as follows:
|Packaging Type||Standard Delivery Charge||Minimum Order Values (incl VAT) for FREE Delivery|
|Small Box (Bare Roots up to 1.2m)||£12 delivery charge (orders up to £100 incl VAT) ||Orders of £100 and over - FREE|
|Box (Pots up to and incl. 7.5L)||£12 delivery charge (orders up to £100 incl VAT) ||Orders of £100 and over - FREE|
|Large/Tall Box (Tall bare roots 1.2m +)||£18 delivery charge (orders up to £120 incl VAT)||Orders of £120 and over - FREE|
|Pallet (Root balls, large pots, trees etc)||£60 delivery charge (orders up to £240 incl VAT)||Orders of £240 and over - FREE|
There are some exceptions to the standard delivery pricing structure, which relate to deliveries to more remote areas, overseas, or extremely tall plants requiring specialist delivery - for more information see the Delivery Information Page. (Please note that due to new Brexit rules, we are currently unable to export to both Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland.)IDelivery Time
- Please note that due to high demand, current delivery is 14-28 days! (Some trees can be 10-14 days delivery as standard - see product pages for info.)It's Convenient
- no need to wait in all day to sign, we don't need a signature (the odd, larger order may require a signature but will be delivered at a mutually agreeable time)It's Tried & Tested
- we use only couriers who have shown consistency in their efficiency & care
* Please note that delivery costs are based on the final order amount in your cart after
any discounts have been applied.
Hedges Direct 12 Month Plant Guarantee
Our plants are guaranteed for 12 months after delivery subject to specific criteria. Visit our Hedges Direct Plant Guarantee Page
for full details.