Prunus Kiku-shidare-zakura is a compact, exceptionally pretty blossom-flowering tree with a distinct weeping form. In April-May it produces a plethora of almost spherical double rose-pink flowers for a stunning display. The new emerging foliage is bronze in colour, glossy green through summer, turning yellow, bronzed and orange in autumn.
Commonly known as Cheals Weeping Cherry, Prunus 'Kiku shidare-zakura' is surprisingly hardy, pollution tolerant and will grow in most positions and soil types except for wet or shallow chalky sites.
This lovely ornamental tree grows to a height and spread of 2.5 x 2.5m in 10 years.
Planting Prunus 'Kiku-shidare-zakura'
Our Japanese flowering cherry trees are pot grown so can be planted all year-round. We recommend sprinkling Rootgrow
when planting to enhance the growth quality.
1. Dig a square hole as deep as your root mass and approximately 2x as wide
2. Mix 50% of the original soil with 50% compost
3. Remove the tree from the pot and gently loosen the soil around the roots.
4. Place the tree into the hole, fill it with your soil mix and firm around gently (avoid banking the collar of the tree)Aftercare:
1. Remove weeds and grass around the area for the first couple years of the growing season.
2. When planting in spring and summer: water well for the first few months and increase watering if there are periods of hot or dry weather
3. When planting in autumn: you may only need to water a little
4. Use a rabbit guard
if prone to rabbits in the area
Prunus 'Kiku-shidare-zakura' can be left to develop and grow natuarlly, however it is best to do any heavy pruning to develop the shape in its early years. Pruning must be done when the tree is dormant in the colder months but can be limited to any branches growing vertically, up or down Pruning to an upward facing bud will encourage the development of the weeping shape. Also prune any random shoots that may be produced from the stem to retain productive growth from the crown.
Pruning time: When dormant in the late autumn and winter months
is available on all orders providing they meet the minimum spend criteria for the size of box or pallet. Pallet deliveries and large box deliveries for tall plants are indicated by icons on the product table listings. Delivery costs and minimum order details for each packaging type are as follows:
|Packaging Type||Standard Delivery Charge||Minimum Order Values (incl VAT) for FREE Delivery|
|Small Box (Bare Roots up to 1.2m)||£12 delivery charge (orders up to £100 incl VAT) ||Orders of £100 and over - FREE|
|Box (Pots up to and incl. 7.5L)||£12 delivery charge (orders up to £100 incl VAT) ||Orders of £100 and over - FREE|
|Large/Tall Box (Tall bare roots 1.2m +)||£18 delivery charge (orders up to £120 incl VAT)||Orders of £120 and over - FREE|
|Pallet (Root balls, large pots, trees etc)||£60 delivery charge (orders up to £240 incl VAT)||Orders of £240 and over - FREE|
There are some exceptions to the standard delivery pricing structure, which relate to deliveries to more remote areas, overseas, or extremely tall plants requiring specialist delivery - for more information see the Delivery Information Page. (Please note that due to new Brexit rules, we are currently unable to export to both Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland.)IDelivery Time
- Please note that due to high demand, current delivery is 14-28 days! (Some trees can be 10-14 days delivery as standard - see product pages for info.)It's Convenient
- no need to wait in all day to sign, we don't need a signature (the odd, larger order may require a signature but will be delivered at a mutually agreeable time)It's Tried & Tested
- we use only couriers who have shown consistency in their efficiency & care
* Please note that delivery costs are based on the final order amount in your cart after
any discounts have been applied.
Hedges Direct 12 Month Plant Guarantee
Our plants are guaranteed for 12 months after delivery subject to specific criteria. Visit our Hedges Direct Plant Guarantee Page
for full details.