Malus 'Jelly King' provides colourful decoration for your garden in autumn and winter with a mixture of pink and orange fruits - if you decide not to pick them for jelly making that is. This small tree is perfect for smaller gardens and has a lovely rounded shape that can even be maintained in a large container.
In spring, Malus 'Jelly King' produces beautiful white blossom which adorns the tree for a long period and is incredibly popular with bees and butterflies.
This lovely Crab Apple tree benefits from a sunny position to ensure good fruit production. It is widely regarded as one of the top varieties for making tasty crab apple jelly!
Malus 'Jelly King' is suited to most soil types and has a height and spread in 10 years of 4 x 3m
Planting Malus 'Jelly king'
This ornamental tree is pot grown so can be planted all year-round. We recommend sprinkling Rootgrow
when planting to enhance the growth quality. Alternatively, this tree can be grown in a large container if preferred.When planting:
1. Dig a square hole as deep as your root mass and approximately 2x as wide
2. Mix 50% of the original soil with 50% compost
3. Remove the tree from the pot and gently loosen the soil around the roots.
4. Place the tree into the hole, fill it with your soil mix and firm around gently (avoid banking the collar of the tree)Aftercare
1. Remove weeds and grass around the area for the first couple years of the growing season.
2. When planting in spring and summer: water well for the first few months and increase watering if there are periods of hot or dry weather
3. When planting in autumn: you may only need to water a little
4. Use a rabbit guard
if prone to rabbits in the areaPruning
Regular pruning isn't needed. Just remove any diseased, damaged or crossing branches plus any shoots at the base of the tree as required. Do not trim the tips.
Pruning time: During dormacy in the winter months
is available on all orders providing they meet the minimum spend criteria for the size of box or pallet. Pallet deliveries and large box deliveries for tall plants are indicated by icons on the product table listings. Delivery costs and minimum order details for each packaging type are as follows:
|Packaging Type||Standard Delivery Charge||Minimum Order Values (incl VAT) for FREE Delivery|
|Boxes (Bare roots and pots up to and incl. 7.5L)||£4.99 delivery charge (orders up to £100 incl VAT) ||Orders of £100 and over - FREE|
|Pallets (Root balls, large pots, trees etc)||£60.00 delivery charge (orders up to £200 incl VAT)||Orders of £200 and over - FREE|
There are some exceptions to the standard delivery pricing structure, which relate to deliveries to more remote areas, overseas, or extremely tall plants requiring specialist delivery - for more information see the Delivery Information Page. (Please note that due to new Brexit rules, we are currently unable to export to both Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland.)Delivery Time
- Please note that due to high demand, delivery times are currently 3-7 days. (Some trees will be 7-14 days delivery as standard - see product pages for delivery info). We are working through existing orders as quickly as possible but can now deliver new orders within this timescale.It's Convenient
- no need to wait in all day to sign, we don't need a signature (the odd, larger order may require a signature but will be delivered at a mutually agreeable time)It's Tried & Tested
- we use only couriers who have shown consistency in their efficiency & care
* Please note that delivery costs are based on the final order amount in your cart after
any discounts have been applied.
Hedges Direct 12 Month Plant Guarantee
Our plants are guaranteed for 12 months after delivery subject to specific criteria. Visit our Hedges Direct Plant Guarantee Page
for full details.