Liquidambar styraciflua 'Worplesdon' is a variety of Sweet Gum tree popular for its superb autumn foliage. The elegant star-shaped leaves are reminiscent of Japanese Maples with their deeply-lobed shape and slightly serrated edges. The unfurling foliage is light green in spring, deepening to a glossy dark green in summer. However in autumn, the foliage bursts into vibrant colour with intense orange and yellow shades, deepening to crimson and claret tones for a brilliant autumn display.
Small, yellow-green flower clusters on slender stems are also produced in springtime followed by large spherical brown fruits with a spiny outer. The hard, round seedballs hang in pendulous clusters from the tree through autumn and winter and attract local wildlife such as birds and squirrels. The bark of the tree is also unusual and adds further visual interest with its furrowed, cork-like appearance.
Liquidambar styraciflua 'Worplesdon' makes a fantastic specimen tree and is great for creating shade and shelter in the garden in addition to providing a visual feast in autumn. It is well deserving of the RHS 'Award for Garden Merit'.
To benefit from the best autumnal colour, Liquidambar 'Worplesdon' should be planted in full sun. It is best suited to fertile, well-drained soil and will adapt to most soil types except very alkaline.
This magnificent tree has a broad crown and a conical shape becoming more rounded with maturity. It is long lived and can grow to around 25ft high, however after 10 years growth is will likely have a height and spread of 4.5 x 3.5m.
Planting Liquidambar styraciflua 'Worplesdon'
This ornamental tree is pot grown so can be planted all year-round. We recommend sprinkling Rootgrow
when planting to enhance the growth quality.
1. Dig a square hole as deep as your root mass and approximately 2x as wide
2. Mix 50% of the original soil with 50% compost
3. Remove the tree from the pot and gently loosen the soil around the roots.
4. Place the tree into the hole, fill it with your soil mix and firm around gently (avoid banking the collar of the tree)Aftercare:
1. Remove weeds and grass around the area for the first couple years of the growing season.
2. When planting in spring and summer: water well for the first few months and increase watering if there are periods of hot or dry weather
3. When planting in autumn: you may only need to water a little
4. Use a rabbit guard
if prone to rabbits in the areaPruning
No regular pruning is required for your Sweet Gum tree. Trim your tree if it is looking a little untidy. If you notice any competing branches, remove the weakest along with any sucker.
Pruning time: January/February
is available on all orders providing they meet the minimum spend criteria for the size of box or pallet. Pallet deliveries and large box deliveries for tall plants are indicated by icons on the product table listings. Delivery costs and minimum order details for each packaging type are as follows:
|Packaging Type||Standard Delivery Charge||Minimum Order Values (incl VAT) for FREE Delivery|
|Small Box (Bare Roots up to 1.2m)||£12 delivery charge (orders up to £100 incl VAT) ||Orders of £100 and over - FREE|
|Box (Pots up to and incl. 7.5L)||£12 delivery charge (orders up to £100 incl VAT) ||Orders of £100 and over - FREE|
|Large/Tall Box (Tall bare roots 1.2m +)||£18 delivery charge (orders up to £120 incl VAT)||Orders of £120 and over - FREE|
|Pallet (Root balls, large pots, trees etc)||£60 delivery charge (orders up to £240 incl VAT)||Orders of £240 and over - FREE|
There are some exceptions to the standard delivery pricing structure, which relate to deliveries to more remote areas, overseas, or extremely tall plants requiring specialist delivery - for more information see the Delivery Information Page. (Please note that due to new Brexit rules, we are currently unable to export to both Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland.)IDelivery Time
- Please note that due to high demand, current delivery is 14-28 days! (Some trees can be 10-14 days delivery as standard - see product pages for info.)It's Convenient
- no need to wait in all day to sign, we don't need a signature (the odd, larger order may require a signature but will be delivered at a mutually agreeable time)It's Tried & Tested
- we use only couriers who have shown consistency in their efficiency & care
* Please note that delivery costs are based on the final order amount in your cart after
any discounts have been applied.
Hedges Direct 12 Month Plant Guarantee
Our plants are guaranteed for 12 months after delivery subject to specific criteria. Visit our Hedges Direct Plant Guarantee Page
for full details.