Crataegus laevigata 'Pauls Scarlet', also known by its common name the Double Crimson Flowering Hawthorn, is an extremely hardy ornamental tree that will grow in almost any condition or soil. This includes coastal, exposed, polluted or damp sites, making it a very popular choice for a small ornamental tree. In May the plant is adorned with deep pinkish/crimson, ruffled double flowers followed by small, shiny red haws in autumn for extended seasonal interest.
Being part of the Hawthorn family, it has the characteristic sharp thorns on its branches which also ensures a safe home for a variety of native wildlife. The deeply lobed foliage is dark-green with a slight gloss, turning yellow and bronze for autumn.
The RHS award-winning Crataegus Paul's Scarlet tree will reach an estimated height and spread of 5 x 4 metres in 20 years.
Pot grown Crataegus 'Pauls Scarlet' trees can be planted at any time of the year. If youre planting Flowering Hawthorn in spring or summer, water well for the first few months. Increase watering if there are extended periods of hot or dry weather. If planting in autumn, you may only need to water a little.
Planting Crataegus laevigata Paul's Scarlet
Our Flowering Hawthorn trees are pot grown so can be planted all year-round. We recommend sprinkling Rootgrow
when planting to enhance the growth quality.
1. Dig a square hole as deep as your root mass and approximately 2x as wide
2. Mix 50% of the original soil with 50% compost
3. Remove the tree from the pot and gently loosen the soil around the roots.
4. Place the tree into the hole, fill it with your soil mix and firm around gently (avoid banking the collar of the tree)
1. Remove weeds and grass around the area for the first couple years of the growing season.
2. When planting in spring and summer: water well for the first few months and increase watering if there are periods of hot or dry weather
3. When planting in autumn: you may only need to water a little
4. Use a rabbit guard
if prone to rabbits in the areaPruning:
Prune Crataegus Paul's Scarlet after flowering and trim away any extra shoots or branches from the lower part if you want to keep a clear stem. This in turn promotes growth at the crown and will create a more attractive aesthetic and form. A further trim can take place in the autumn if looking a little untidy. Remove any diseased, damaged or crossing branches to keep a good shape and allow light to filter into the heart of the canopy.
Pruning time: In summer, after flowering season
is available on all orders providing they meet the minimum spend criteria for the size of box or pallet. Pallet deliveries and large box deliveries for tall plants are indicated by icons on the product table listings. Delivery costs and minimum order details for each packaging type are as follows:
|Packaging Type||Standard Delivery Charge||Minimum Order Values (incl VAT) for FREE Delivery|
|Small Box (Bare Roots up to 1.2m)||£12 delivery charge (orders up to £100 incl VAT) ||Orders of £100 and over - FREE|
|Box (Pots up to and incl. 7.5L)||£12 delivery charge (orders up to £100 incl VAT) ||Orders of £100 and over - FREE|
|Large/Tall Box (Tall bare roots 1.2m +)||£18 delivery charge (orders up to £120 incl VAT)||Orders of £120 and over - FREE|
|Pallet (Root balls, large pots, trees etc)||£60 delivery charge (orders up to £240 incl VAT)||Orders of £240 and over - FREE|
There are some exceptions to the standard delivery pricing structure, which relate to deliveries to more remote areas, overseas, or extremely tall plants requiring specialist delivery - for more information see the Delivery Information Page. (Please note that due to new Brexit rules, we are currently unable to export to both Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland.)IDelivery Time
- Please note that due to high demand, current delivery is 14-28 days! (Some trees can be 10-14 days delivery as standard - see product pages for info.)It's Convenient
- no need to wait in all day to sign, we don't need a signature (the odd, larger order may require a signature but will be delivered at a mutually agreeable time)It's Tried & Tested
- we use only couriers who have shown consistency in their efficiency & care
* Please note that delivery costs are based on the final order amount in your cart after
any discounts have been applied.
Hedges Direct 12 Month Plant Guarantee
Our plants are guaranteed for 12 months after delivery subject to specific criteria. Visit our Hedges Direct Plant Guarantee Page
for full details.