Betula utilis Jacquemontii is the original Himalayan White Birch. It features striking white, attractive, peeling bark that gives this tree year round interest. The green spring and summer foliage gives way to yellow in autumn but it is in winter, when bare of leaves, that this tree becomes visually stunning against the winter landscape with its snowy-white stems and architectural form.
Betula utilis Jacquemontii makes a wonderful feature tree on its own, however a copse or avenue of these lovely Himalayan Birch trees planted together can be highly impactful.
White Himalyan Birches are unfussy trees, growing in most locations and are tolerant of practically all soil conditions. They grow best in sun or partial shade.
After 10 years of growth it will be on average a height of 6 metres with a spread of 4m
Planting Betula utilis jacquemontii
Our Himalayan Birch trees are pot grown so can be planted all year-round. We recommend you sprinkle Rootgrow
when planting to enhance the growth quality.
1. Dig a square hole as deep as your root mass and approximately 2x as wide
2. Mix 50% of the original soil with 50% compost
3. Remove the tree from the pot and gently loosen the soil around the roots.
4. Place the tree into the hole, fill it with your soil mix and firm around gently (avoid banking the collar of the tree)Aftercare Betula utilis jacquemontii
Remove weeds and grass around the area for the first couple years of the growing season.
1. When planting in spring and summer: water well for the first few months and increase watering if there are periods of hot or dry weather
2. When planting in autumn: you may only need to water a little
3. Use a rabbit guard
if prone to rabbits in the area
4. Gently wash the white bark with water and a sponge to keep it looking sparklingPruning Betula utilis jacquemontii
Minimal pruning is required and advised for Himalayan Birch trees. Hard pruning will increase light at the base of the tree, which in turn increases soil temperature and decreases moisture levels. Simply remove lateral shoots to maintain a clear trunk and prune any diseased or damaged branches
Pruning time: Late summer to mid-winter.
is available on all orders providing they meet the minimum spend criteria for the size of box or pallet. Pallet deliveries and large box deliveries for tall plants are indicated by icons on the product table listings. Delivery costs and minimum order details for each packaging type are as follows:
|Packaging Type||Standard Delivery Charge||Minimum Order Values (incl VAT) for FREE Delivery|
|Small Box (Bare Roots up to 1.2m)||£12 delivery charge (orders up to £100 incl VAT) ||Orders of £100 and over - FREE|
|Box (Pots up to and incl. 7.5L)||£12 delivery charge (orders up to £100 incl VAT) ||Orders of £100 and over - FREE|
|Large/Tall Box (Tall bare roots 1.2m +)||£18 delivery charge (orders up to £120 incl VAT)||Orders of £120 and over - FREE|
|Pallet (Root balls, large pots, trees etc)||£60 delivery charge (orders up to £240 incl VAT)||Orders of £240 and over - FREE|
There are some exceptions to the standard delivery pricing structure, which relate to deliveries to more remote areas, overseas, or extremely tall plants requiring specialist delivery - for more information see the Delivery Information Page. (Please note that due to new Brexit rules, we are currently unable to export to both Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland.)IDelivery Time
- Please note that due to high demand, current delivery is 14-28 days! (Some trees can be 10-14 days delivery as standard - see product pages for info.)It's Convenient
- no need to wait in all day to sign, we don't need a signature (the odd, larger order may require a signature but will be delivered at a mutually agreeable time)It's Tried & Tested
- we use only couriers who have shown consistency in their efficiency & care
* Please note that delivery costs are based on the final order amount in your cart after
any discounts have been applied.
Hedges Direct 12 Month Plant Guarantee
Our plants are guaranteed for 12 months after delivery subject to specific criteria. Visit our Hedges Direct Plant Guarantee Page
for full details.