Betula utilis Jacquemontii 'Snow Queen' is a less vigorous version of the Doorenbos variety of Himalayan Birch. With pure-white exfoliating bark that begins at a younger stage than most other Birch trees at around two years, this variety is a popular choice. The smooth, green foliage turns golden yellow in autumn with yellow-brown catkins appearing in spring.
Betula utilis Jacquemontii 'Snow Queen' can be planted as a single tree, however a copse or grouping of these lovely Himalayan Birch trees planted together can look simply stunning, creating a uniquely eye-catching feature, particularly so in winter when their snowy-white bare stems are revealed in full.
Prefering a moist to well-drained soil in a sunny or partially shaded site, this Himalayan Birch tree has a final height and spread of 7 x 3.5m.
Planting Betula utilis jacquemontii 'Snow Queen'
Our Himalayan Birch trees are pot grown so can be planted all year-round. We recommend you sprinkle Rootgrow
when planting to enhance the growth quality.
1. Dig a square hole as deep as your root mass and approximately 2x as wide
2. Mix 50% of the original soil with 50% compost
3. Remove the tree from the pot and gently loosen the soil around the roots.
4. Place the tree into the hole and fill it with your soil mix and firm around gently (avoid banking the collar of the tree)Aftercare Betula utilis jacquemontii 'Snow Queen'
1. Remove weeds and grass around the area for the first couple years of the growing season.
2. When planting in spring and summer: water well for the first few months and increase watering if there are periods of hot or dry weather
3. When planting in autumn: you may only need to water a little
4. Use a rabbit guard
if prone to rabbits in the area
5. Gently wash the white bark with water and a sponge to keep it looking sparklingPruning Betula utilis jacquemontii
Minimal pruning is required and advised for Himalayan Birch trees. Hard pruning will increase light at the base of the tree, which in turn increases soil temperature and decreases moisture levels. Simply remove lateral shoots to maintain a clear trunk and prune any diseased or damaged branches
Pruning time: Late summer to mid-winter.
is available on all orders providing they meet the minimum spend criteria for the size of box or pallet. Pallet deliveries and large box deliveries for tall plants are indicated by icons on the product table listings. Delivery costs and minimum order details for each packaging type are as follows:
|Packaging Type||Standard Delivery Charge||Minimum Order Values (incl VAT) for FREE Delivery|
|Small Box (Bare Roots up to 1.2m)||£12 delivery charge (orders up to £100 incl VAT) ||Orders of £100 and over - FREE|
|Box (Pots up to and incl. 7.5L)||£12 delivery charge (orders up to £100 incl VAT) ||Orders of £100 and over - FREE|
|Large/Tall Box (Tall bare roots 1.2m +)||£18 delivery charge (orders up to £120 incl VAT)||Orders of £120 and over - FREE|
|Pallet (Root balls, large pots, trees etc)||£60 delivery charge (orders up to £240 incl VAT)||Orders of £240 and over - FREE|
There are some exceptions to the standard delivery pricing structure, which relate to deliveries to more remote areas, overseas, or extremely tall plants requiring specialist delivery - for more information see the Delivery Information Page It's Quick!
- most orders are despatched within 3-5 working days!! (Some trees can be 7-10 days see product pages for info.)Next Day Delivery is Available
- We can offer next day delivery on eligible species and sizes for an additional £12 incl VAT. Call 01257 263 873
to find out if your order is eligible.It's Convenient
- no need to wait in all day to sign, we don't need a signature (the odd, larger order may require a signature but will be delivered at a mutually agreeable time)It's Tried & Tested
- we use only couriers who have shown consistency in their efficiency & care
* Please note that delivery costs are based on the final order amount in your cart after
any discounts have been applied.
Hedges Direct 12 Month Plant Guarantee
Our plants are guaranteed for 12 months after delivery subject to specific criteria. Visit our Hedges Direct Plant Guarantee Page
for full details.