Amelanchier laevis 'Snowflakes', is also known as the Smooth Serviceberry tree or Snowy Mespilus. It is a small, deciduous ornamental tree popular for the large, hanging, star-shaped white flowers that contrast prettily against the pinkish-bronzed foliage in spring and from which the name 'Snowflakes' derives.
The lightly fragrant flowers are followed in summer by small, edible purple-black fruits. From spring onwards, the narrow-leaved foliage becomes mid-green in summer followed by warm yellows and russet colours in the autumn for extended seasonal interest.
With a height and spread of only 4 x 3m in around 10 years, Amelanchier laevis 'Snowflakes' makes a lovely feature tree with the copper / white spring colours contrasting prettily with other garden plants to provide a very attractive visual.
Perfect for small and larger gardens alike this pretty ornamental tree is remarkably hardy and will grow in most positions including exposed locations. It will grow in most soil types but prefers soil on the acidic side. Amelanchier 'Snowflakes' is a great choice for urban gardens as it is tolerant of difficult conditions inlcluding polluted areas.
Planting Amelanchier laevis 'Snowflakes'
This ornamental tree is pot grown so can be planted all year-round. We recommend sprinkling Rootgrow
when planting to enhance the growth quality. When planting:
1. Dig a square hole as deep as your root mass and approximately 2x as wide
2. Mix 50% of the original soil with 50% compost
3. Remove the tree from the pot and gently loosen the soil around the roots.
4. Place the tree into the hole, fill it with your soil mix and firm around gently (avoid banking the collar of the tree)Aftercare
1. Remove weeds and grass around the area for the first couple years of the growing season.
2. When planting in spring and summer: water well for the first few months and increase watering if there are periods of hot or dry weather
3. When planting in autumn: you may only need to water a little
4. Use a rabbit guard
if prone to rabbits in the areaPruning
Amelanchier laevis 'Snowflakes' needs only minimal pruning. Simply remove crossing, diseased or untidy branches. Whilst these trees can handle a hard prune, if can affect flower production the year after so pruning is best carried out just after flowering has finished.
To encourage more buds and flowers, remove any growth that is older than four years. This also helps to keep a nice shape to the tree.
Pruning time: After flowering season
is available on all orders providing they meet the minimum spend criteria for the size of box or pallet. Pallet deliveries and large box deliveries for tall plants are indicated by icons on the product table listings. Delivery costs and minimum order details for each packaging type are as follows:
|Packaging Type||Standard Delivery Charge||Minimum Order Values (incl VAT) for FREE Delivery|
|Small Box (Bare Roots up to 1.2m)||£12 delivery charge (orders up to £100 incl VAT) ||Orders of £100 and over - FREE|
|Box (Pots up to and incl. 7.5L)||£12 delivery charge (orders up to £100 incl VAT) ||Orders of £100 and over - FREE|
|Large/Tall Box (Tall bare roots 1.2m +)||£18 delivery charge (orders up to £120 incl VAT)||Orders of £120 and over - FREE|
|Pallet (Root balls, large pots, trees etc)||£60 delivery charge (orders up to £240 incl VAT)||Orders of £240 and over - FREE|
There are some exceptions to the standard delivery pricing structure, which relate to deliveries to more remote areas, overseas, or extremely tall plants requiring specialist delivery - for more information see the Delivery Information Page. (Please note that due to new Brexit rules, we are currently unable to export to both Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland.)IDelivery Time
- Please note that due to high demand, current delivery is 14-28 days! (Some trees can be 10-14 days delivery as standard - see product pages for info.)It's Convenient
- no need to wait in all day to sign, we don't need a signature (the odd, larger order may require a signature but will be delivered at a mutually agreeable time)It's Tried & Tested
- we use only couriers who have shown consistency in their efficiency & care
* Please note that delivery costs are based on the final order amount in your cart after
any discounts have been applied.
Hedges Direct 12 Month Plant Guarantee
Our plants are guaranteed for 12 months after delivery subject to specific criteria. Visit our Hedges Direct Plant Guarantee Page
for full details.